M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.


M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies. 

Any employment for M-1 students must be related to their area of study and must be authorized by the Designated School Official prior to starting any work.

Benefits for family members

Spouses and children of M-1 visa holders may be admitted to the United States in M-2 status. Unfortunately, M-2 visa holders are not permitted to work.